Thursday 30 January 2014

MyMy Mei Tai


A couple weekends ago I finally was able to whip up my new Mei Tai and I'm quite pleased with how it turned out!
I made it reversible to suit mood, outfit, and me vs. hubby. One side is a pretty aqua chevron, with the other a charcoal grey with white birds. I love that this will also work for carrying boys or girls (future baby maybe!?).

I followed a great tutorial by Anitra over at Pigs Pancakes and Knitting Needles. It's the style of a Babyhawk Mei Tai, and it is pretty darn comfy!
I like it a bit better for front carries since It doesn't hug Fin as close to me as I'd like. I also made it a bit too short for my crazy long baby. D'oh!
 
We had our first test run at the Aviation Museum, and this is what I quickly discovered. Once Fin fell asleep his head was flopping back (as you can see below)! I'm glad the top of the body piece is padded since it was able to support his neck enough when it tipped back. (Don't worry I didn't leave him like that!)
Luckily, I can make a pretty quick fix - a hood! I have a good amount of both fabrics leftover so I think i'll make a nice hood that I can snap on. Problem solved!
So if you don't have loads of money to spend on a fancy baby carrier or woven wrap, I definitely recommend making yourself a Mei Tai. If you're new to babywearing, or interesting there's lots of great info out there. Here's a short list of some of the benefits of wearing your baby.

To add to the list, my three favorite reasons to babywear are:
*you get lots of sweet snuggles
*you can cook dinner hands free, and
*you don't have to fight with fitting a stroller through stores or small spaces!

Happy sewing (and hopefully babywearing)!
Eryn


No comments:

Post a Comment