Thursday 29 May 2014

5 Minute Pants Patch

 
As promised, here is a tutorial on how to do a super easy 5 minute pants patch!

What prompted me to patch up my jeans, you might ask? Well, for one, I'm cheap thrifty. But more importantly, I hate shopping for pants. I find it incredibly difficult to find a pair that fits me just right, and are comfortable. And that are in my price range (can I say again, cheap thrifty?).

I'm a curvy lady. I don't have thigh gap. For some insane reason, thigh gap is a physical attribute to strive for these days. It's viewed as a very attractive physical attribute to have. There is even a Wikihow page on how to get thigh gap. Crazy I say! As a nutritionist, this kind of worries me. How many young girls are going to starve themselves to try and get this!? Now, if you are just a skinny person and this comes naturally that is a totally different story, so please do not be offended by this rant and be happy you don't have this problem.

Anyways! Back on track here.

For those who don't have thigh gap, you might be aware of how the inner thigh part of your pants wear down before the rest are ready to be retired. Your thighs rub together when you walk, this wears down your jeans. It never fails to be the first part of my pants to give out. So what's a girl to do with these otherwise perfectly good pair of pants!? Why, patch them up of course!

Now for the super simple tutorial:
 

Step 1: Find a nice scrap of fabric that covers the hole by about a 1/2" on each side. I used a scrap from my quilting fabric (100% cotton).



Step 2: Turn your pants inside out, and roughly pin the fabric scrap ensuring that the hole is fully covered.


Step 3: Stitch a 1/4" away from the edge of your fabric scrap all the way around, at least once. I decided to go around twice this time (and intentionally made it a bit messy...just the look I was going for).

The top patch you can see is one I did at least 6 months ago. I only stitched around once, and it has held up well since. When doing this second patch, I restitched the 1st as I noticed a couple stitches thinning out.

And Voila! Good as new! All patched up with a cute fabric, and no one will see your undies. Barely noticeable from the back, not at all from the front.


No comments:

Post a Comment