Friday 27 December 2013

Holiday busy bee

Where have the days gone!? Everyday this week I told myself I'd post an update on what's been happening...then before I know it, the day is done and Fin is going down for the night and I'm collapsing on the bed.

I love Christmas time, but man does it ever take alot out of you! It's all worth is though. Especially when you have kids. Fin had lots of fun opening his gifts (and eating the wrapping paper too).


These last few days have been spent running around, finishing last minute sewing projects and spending lots of time with family. Oh, and some baking too!

I made these awesome peanut butter cookies for Santa! It's a family recipe that I adapted to be gluten and dairy free. Crispy melt in your mouth deliciousness .


Colin made sure to leave a note for Santa as well...

I made these Blueberry Maple Muffins for breakfast. Of course the usual modifications had to be made so Colin and I didn't explode after we ate them (i.e. make them Gluten & Dairy free).



They turned out amazing! Just the right amount of sweetness, moist, light, yet filling....Mmm. Colin declared that there must be muffins made for him at all times. So far i'm failing...we gobbled all these up over the last couple days! Here is the recipe after I got my hands on it:




Blueberry Maple Muffins
  
1 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp Gluten Free all-purpose flour*
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup ground Chia Seeds
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
1 cup full fat coconut milk
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup canola oil
2 tsp freshly grated orange zest  (I would have added, but didn't have oranges)
1 Tbsp orange juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries
 1 Tbsp sugar (optional)


*Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with coconut oil, or use muffin cups
*In a medium bowl, mix together the coconut milk and lemon juice to make a "buttermilk". Set aside
*In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder, chia seed, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; whisk to blend,
*In a small bowl. whisk together eggs and maple syrup until smooth. Add buttermilk mixture, canola oil, orange zest, orange juice and vanilla; whisk until blended.
*Make a well in the dry ingredients and stir in the wet ingredients with a rubber spatula just until moistened. *Fold in blueberries. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle the tops with sugar if desired.
*Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly.



*I make my own Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour mix! Whisk together I cup each Sorghum flour, Millet flour, Arrowroot flour.



Hope you all had a very Merry Christmas!

Eryn

No comments:

Post a Comment